From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VM Ware or not?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:53:49
1 On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:20:38 -0800, Michael Higgins wrote:
2
3 > So, the quick question is, is VM Ware the best way to go? I think XP is
4 > still lurking on a partition here... and I do need to run Internet
5 > Extorter, Outlook, etc... pretend I'm in their "domain"...
6
7 VMware is a good way to go, whether it's the best is open to debate.
8 While you can run it from a physical partition, trying to use an existing
9 install may cause problems. At the very least you'll need to re-activate
10 is with MS because it is now running on a different computer (the virtual
11 one).
12
13 > * app-emulation/vmware-workstation
14 > Available versions: 4.5.3.19414-r7 5.5.5.56455 ~6.0.1.55017!f
15 > ~6.0.2.59824!f
16 >
17 > ... when I downloaded the evaluation license and a tar.gz, does that
18 > satisfy the "!f", for example? What do I do with it, then? I do notice
19 > the version number matches.
20
21 If you try to emerge it, you will be told which file to download and
22 where to put it. Put the one you have in $DISTDIR and use the -v option
23 with emerge. If it shows a 0KB download, you know you have the right file.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 "I am a Cub Ranger. We dib dib dib for the One. We dob dob dob for the
30 One."