From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrading and linux symlink
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:52:47
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 31 October 2009 23:26:33 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Denis wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> And in fact does it really matter if its pointing at the newly
9 >>>> installed or actual running kernel, when kernel compiling operations
10 >>>> take place?
11 >>>>
12 >>> When I upgrade a kernel, I first change the symlink using eselect to
13 >>> point to the source I'm about to install. Then, after I configure and
14 >>> compile the kernel, I use the "module-rebuild rebuild" to rebuild any
15 >>> kernel modules against the new source. Move the bzImage to /boot,
16 >>> reboot, and that's it. I don't know how genkernel changes any of this
17 >>> - I use manual menuconfig.
18 >>>
19 >> I'm about the same. I update the symlink, build the kernel, update
20 >> nvidia-drivers against the new kernel before I forget, copy bzImage to
21 >> /boot and edit grub. I reboot when I get the chance.
24 > I'm a forgetful old git. In my world it usually goes like this:
25 >
26 > emerge, build, install new kernel
27 > carry on with work
28 > boot into new kernel at some later point
29 > observe xdm doing nothing on-screen
30 > curse and swear mightily
31 > Ctrl-Alt-F1
32 > login as root
33 > check symlink
34 > module-rebuild rebuild
35 > modprobe -r nvidia && modprobe nvidia
36 > /etc/init.d/xdm restart && logout
37 >
38 > takes about 6 minutes total, 6 minutes that I'll never get back :-)
42 Well, I'm a bit of a old git too. I just sort of build habits when I am
43 doing something which helps me to not forget. I'm dreading the new
44 baselayout upgrade. I don't have a "habit" for that yet. lol
45
46 Dale
47