From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Permissions error on starting X.
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 06:20:14
1 On 11/03/18 07:01, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > HEADS UP!!!
5 >
6 > If you start your X server from the command line with, e.g. startx, you
7 > now need to set the new(?) suid USE flag for the xorg-server package.
8 >
9 > This flag causes the binary to be installed with the setuid file flag,
10 > which causes it to run as root.
11 >
12 > The developers, in this instance, failed to raise the ebuild's version
13 > number from 1.20.3 when making this change, and also didn't notify users
14 > by a NEWS item, that I can see.
15 >
16 > The matter was fairly intensively discussed in bug #669648 in Gentoo's
17 > bugzilla.
18 >
19 > So - if you get a permissions error whilst trying to start X, setting
20 > the suid USE flag may well be the solution.
23 I just got hit by this on my mythtv backend, which I only start X to
24 configure the mythtv backend.
25
26 Yes, enabling the suid USE-flag fixed it (or restored original behaviour?)
27
28 Dan