From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Playing timidity patches via keyboard?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:09:29
1 On 27/09/14 08:53, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com> [14-09-27 07:48]:
3 >> 2014-09-26 23:42 GMT-06:00 <meino.cramer@×××.de>:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am looking for some sort of software, for which I
7 >>> have no words (neiter I am a native english speaker
8 >>> nor I am a musician...;):
9 >>> There is a program called "Timidity", which is able
10 >>> to play midifiles and produce sound. The sound is taken
11 >>> from "patchsets" (GUS?).
12 >>>
13 >>> Is there any GPLed/OpensSource Software, which does
14 >>> the same thing but for notes I am playing on the
15 >>> midi keyboard?
16 >>>
17 >> Maybe 'media-sound/lmms' is what you are looking for?
18 >> Homepage: http://lmms.sourceforge.net/
19 >>
20 >>> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
21 >>> Best regards,
22 >>> mcc
25 > not really...it plays samples (sound files). GUS patches
26 > are of higher quality as far as I know...
27
28 You have your concepts wrong. The GUS patches are instruments based on
29 samples. There's nothing inherently "higher quality" about them.
30
31 LMMS supports GUS Patches (as well as SoundFont2 instruments, which is a
32 more modern standard for instruments.)