From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A DNS question.
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:27:27
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:04:59 +0100
2 "Michal 'vorner' Vaner" <vorner@×××.cz> wrote:
3
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 11:17:52AM -0800, Bob Young wrote:
7 > > Obviously on a given system each NIC is usually connected to a
8 > > different domain, my question is, whether or not it
9 > > is /legal/possible/okay to use different *hostnames* on different
10 > > NICs?
11 >
12 > AFAIK, you can have multiple names for one IP and multiple IPs for one
13 > name (there are more ways to do that). So, I see no reason why anyone
14 > would ever forgive you to have different name for each of IP addresses
15 > your computer has. The other question is if you really want to do
16 > that, because there might be applications not expecting your computer
17 > is "schizophrenic" in such way and go nutty.
18 >
19 > With regards
20 >
21 on the contrary, there are good reasons to have more than one name for
22 a single computer. For example, say I have a server 'zeus.mydomain'
23 that also does mail. If I name the mailserver 'mail.mydomain' then I
24 can CNAME that to zeus.mydomain via DNS, or I can just set
25 mail.mydomain to the ip address of the second interface. Result - I
26 can redirect my mail to mail.mydomain and it can go to whatever
27 computer I desire, whether or not it has different names. 'zeus' is
28 still listening under that name for other requests. If i use 'zeus'
29 for heavy filesharing, I can still get good access over a non-saturated
30 ethernet device on 'mail'.
31
32 nevertheless, such a thing would really better be accomplished with
33 ethernet bonding and CNAMEs in dns configuration.
34
35 another, more reasonable situation might be a computer that routed a
36 few subnets and also provided other services to a subnet or two. It
37 might also have an external interface to the ISP, whose hostname on
38 that network is not up to you. I don't want to use "c-24-245-14-14"
39 as the name for my internet gateway on the inside, do i? Similarly, on
40 subnet A it might make perfect sense to call it 'gateway.a.domain' but
41 perhaps such a computer -- another internet gateway, perhaps? already
42 uses that name on subnet B. In that case, imight want to name the same
43 computer router.b.domain since it routes traffic from b to a.
44
45 make sense? correct me if i'm wrong ; )
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list