From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] '/' mounted write protected on first boot of vbox gentoo as guest
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:32:55
1 I installed gentoo in a vbox vm as guest.
2
3 It boots successfully but is mounted write protected.
4
5 I didn't see anything in dmesg that I recognized as pointing to the
6 problem.
7
8 Thought it might be a timing issue during boot processes and so tried
9 to remount rw with `mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda3 /' with the message
10 that it cannot since it is write protected.
11
12 Suspected some doltishness on my part in /etc/fstab, but if so I could
13 not see it. Cannot run sshd since it requires writing the keys etc so
14 sshd will not start.
15
16 I can log in as root and my user but cannot make any changes.
17
18 <Stopping this post to boot with systemrescueCD so I can post my fstab.>
19
20 cat /etc/fstab <trimmed>
21
23
24 # NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
25 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
26 /dev/sda3 / ext4 noatime 0 1
27 /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
28 /dev/cdrom /media auto noauto,ro 0 0
30
31 How can I go about finding the source of the problem?