From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 02:02:28
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > My notebook has this graphics hardware.
5 >
6 > alan@nazgul ~ $ sudo lspci | grep VGA
7 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8600M GT (rev
8 > a1)
9
10 I have a Quadro FX 1600M, using nvidia-drivers...
11
12 > I also have a second LCD monitor at work, a 1280x1024 that is physically
13 > slightly larger than the notebook screen, with a corresponding lower dpi.
14
15 ... I have an LCD at 1920x1200, but it's much larger than my laptop
16 display, so the dpi is different. So far I have no working way of
17 setting different DPI's on the different monitors.
18
19 [snip]
20
21 > I've configured it with TwinView
22
23 as in:
24 Option "TwinView" "True"
25 ?
26
27 > The viewports are aligned along the top edge
28
29 you mean move the mouse up and it appears on the next screen? Don't you
30 want them aligned left / right of each other?
31
32 > and the
33 > panel/kicker/plasma/whatever on every desktop environment insists on trying
34 > to stretch across both monitors, into dead space on the right hand one.
35
36 Sounds like you haven't compiled stuff with the xinerama USE flag. I
37 put it in make.conf, and then did a emerge --newuse.
38
39 > I'm
40 > getting use to right-click on panel, configure, set width to 57% at work,
41 > 100% at home. If I align the viewports on the bottom edges, windows managers
42 > tend to want to position new windows with their title bars in the dead space
43 > at the top.
44
45 definitely sounds like you haven't recompiled with xinerama.
46
47 > kdm and entrance want to stretch over both monitors. I definitely do not want
48 > this. Murphy dictates that all useful DM menus will end up in the dead space
49 > regardless of the theme I use<grrrr>
50
51 xinerama should make your wm open screens on one window only. Also your
52 log-in screen should be on one screen only, and panels should be on one
53 screen only.
54
55 > My research into nvidia's docs leads me to believe that TwinView is designed
56 > to make the presence of two physical monitors invisible and present one giant
57 > X screen, with a funky API for dead spaces (which may or may not work). I'm
58 > thinking Xinerama is the better option, despite the fact that it's old,
59 > clunky, hopeless at dealing with XRandR and can't be changed on the fly. I'm
60 > happy to set up two ServerLayouts to deal with this.
61 >
62 > I'd appreciate some pros and cons feedback from the list before I embark on a
63 > huge emerge -e world to include Xinerama support.
64
65 Why would you do -e world? How about `emerge -uN world` The N being
66 --newuse. or `emerge -vauDN world`.
67
68 It's not that huge, but you need it regardless of whether you use
69 twinview or xinerama anyway.
70
71 $ equery hasuse xinerama | wc -l
72 16
73
74 check out my blog for how I did it:
75
76 http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2008/08/nvidia-xinerama-on-dell-m6300.html
77
78 HTH,
82 Chuck Norris once ate a whole cake before his friends could tell him
83 there was a stripper in it.