From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with open source driver Devolo dLAN USB
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:02:18
1 Am Dienstag 26 Juni 2007 18:23 schrieb Alex Schuster:
2 > Florian Philipp writes:
3 > > > While I do have /usr/include/linux/config.h, it is not being used. I
4 > > > have /usr/src/linux/include/linux/config.h on one machine, but not on
5 > > > the other, where compiling fails. Both machines use gentoo-sources.
6 > > > 2.6.18-r2 has it, 2.6.20-r7 does not. Seems it has become obslete, a
7 > > > comment in the file states this, too. Anyway, it seems to be the same
8 > > > as /usr/include/linux/config.h, so can just copy or symlink this one.
9 > >
10 > > Anyway, it doesn't make things better. If I change the include line to
11 > > linux/autoconf.h, the other errors do not disappear.
12 >
13 > Aren't these errors warnings only? I get them, too, but I guess they don't
14 > matter.
15 >
16 > I just compiled the code after replacing linux/config.h by
17 > linux/autoconf.h, except for the warnings all seems to be fine, I can
18 > insmod the
19 > devolo_usb.ko module.
20 >
21 > Glad you had success, but at some time you will probably need a newer
22 > kernel...
23 >
24 > Alex
25
26 You mean kernel-header (or linux-header), I presume.
27
28 Anyway, I'll write an email to Devolo and if they do not react ... well, I
29 hope I'll know how to rewrite the driver in half a year :)
30
31 By the way, did you notice the warnings that GPL'ed functions are used in this
32 driver although it is under another licence? Is that allowed?