From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Question about net.eth0 and the handbook
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:02:18
1 On 4/19/06, Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > The guy I'm helping to install Gentoo says that he can get to his Linux
3 > installation and log in, but that he has no network unless he boots with
4 > the LiveCD. I've tried every trick I know. At this point he's booted
5 > with the LiveCD and entered his chroot install environment. Out of
6 > desperation for some way to find what the problem is, I asked him to
7 > take a look at ifconfig. According to what he told me, eth1 has an IP
8 > address, but there's no mention of eth0. In the past he's told me that
9
10 The genkernel on the LiveCD supports most hardware, so, its likely it
11 suports firewire, but maybe the kernel you're booting after without
12 the CD doesn't, so, you gotta add the eth0 to the runlevel. In any
13 case, try both. The most obvious reason he doesn't have network when
14 booting without the LiveCD is because:
15
16 1) Wrong init script (eth0 or eth1)
17 2) Wrong or no kernel module or support builtin for the network card.
18
19 > the PC he's installing Gentoo on has a wired NIC and a wireless NIC. I
20 > assume this is why his network card is assigned eth1, and that the
21 > wireless card is eth0 and the LiveCD doesn't support it. The handbook
22
23 MOST wireless cards are unsupported but can be used (not for
24 installation) with ndiswrapper (that is the case for MOST notebooks
25 outthere). The cause of the eth1 being the second NIC is probably
26 because your friend has a Firewire connector, that is recognized by
27 most kernels as an ethernet adapter (I even disabled mine). Try
28 booting using the nofirewire option for the kernel on the LiveCD, if
29 your NIC becomes eth0, you got the problem.
30
31 > says that if multiple network interfaces exist, one can create symlinks
32 > to /etc/init.d/net.eth0 for each successive network interface. My
33 > question is if I tell him to rc-update add net.eth1 default and then to
34 > symlink /etc/init.d/net.eth1 to /etc/init.d/net.eth0, when he reboots,
35 > won't Gentoo just try to start /etc/init.d/net.eth0, which won't work at
36
37 No, I was also confused once by the way symlinks work, but when its
38 regarding init scripts, trust the manual. It won't boot unless you ADD
39 it to the runlevel. It seems the name is more important than the file
40 itself at this point.
41
42 > this point? What should I do? I've told him what the handbook says,
43 > but I'm not sure that it will work.
44
45 Besides, configuration is read from /etc/conf.d/net for each card, if
46 you don't define any, it will read DHCP for any eth.* on your init
47 level.
50 Daniel da Veiga
51 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list