From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] getting rid of gnome
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 23:58:36
1 On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 16:22 -0500, Ernie Schroder wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 18 January 2006 14:46, a tiny voice compelled Neil Bothwick to
3 > write:
4 > > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:21:19 -0500, Ernie Schroder wrote:
5 > > > These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
6 > > >
7 > > > Calculating world dependencies ...done!
8 > > > [ebuild N ] x11-themes/gnome-themes-2.10.2 -accessibility -debug 0
9 > > > kB [ebuild N ] x11-themes/gnome-icon-theme-2.10.1 -debug 0 kB
10 > > > [ebuild N ] gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-1.2.3 -debug -doc
11 > > > +ipv6 -kerberos +ldap +mozilla -nntp +ssl 0 kB
12 > >
13 > > It looks like you have eds in your USE flags.
14 > >
15 > > Can you post the output from "emerge --info | grep USE".
16 > # emerge --info | grep USE
17 > USE="x86 3dnow X aalib acl acpiapm adabas aim alsa apm arts audiofile avi
18 > bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr crypt cups curl dga directfb dvd eds emboss encode esd
19 > exif expat fam fbcon ffmpeg flac flash foomaticdb fortran gd gdbm ggi gif
20 > gimpprint glut gmp gphoto gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 idn imagemagick imap imlib
21 > ipv6 java jikes jpeg kde lcms ldap leim libg++ libwww lua mad maildir mbox
22 > mikmod mmx mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg ncurses nls nptl nptlonly oav ogg
23 > oggvorbis openal opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl pic png python qt quicktime
24 > readline samba scanner sdl slang spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tetex tiff
25 > truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev usb vorbis xine xml xml2 xmms xv
26 > xvid zeo zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
27
28 I would add
29 -gtk -gtk2 -esd -gphoto -gimpprint -gstreamer
30 to get rid of eaven more gnome dependencies.
31 Besides, i would add
32 -mozilla firefox
33 to get rid of mozilla.
34 -oss alsa
35 may be o good idea, as oss will soon be removed from mainline kernels,
36 as far as i know, and most apps support alsa.
37
38 matthias
42 > Ahh yes eds, but not in make.conf. I had to add -eds to my use line. I looked
43 > at what wanted to be rebuilt with the newuse option and gaim was at the top
44 > of the list. I rebuilt gaim and tried again Orbit and gconf want to be added
45 > in, apparently they were needed by gdk-plugins (3 packages) I removed the 3
46 > plugins packages and tried again. This time, the plugins and orbit and gconf
47 > wanted to be installed without any clear reason why. At this point, I've more
48 > or less resigned myself to the fact that I will have the 2 gnome packages on
49 > my box. I would like to know why though.
50 > --
51 > Regards, Ernie
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list