From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm login problems after recent emerge
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:53:06
1 On Tue, 2008-01-01 at 10:48 +0000, Mick wrote:
2 > Happy New Year to all!
3 >
4 > I find my self in a bit of a pickle after a recent emerge. When I
5 > enter my username+passwd at the xdm login screen it sort of tries to
6 > load up fluxbox, but within a second or so it returns to the login
7 > screen. I can't see anything worth mentioning in the logs. I have
8 > downgraded baselayout, sysvinit and freetype but the problem remains.
9 > Any ideas? These are the packages emerged recently:
10
11 [snip]
12
13 > I don't have a problem login in at the console, so this must be
14 > xdm/Xorg related I guess. As this is the laptop that I take to work
15 > and my holidays end today all suggestions are welcomed! :)
16
17 This happens to me when one of my services has errors, or fails to
18 start. Look for any [ !! ] or other messages on vt1. btw, this assumes
19 you can switch back to X ok (ctrl-alt-f7 usually)?
20
21 HTH,
25 You know you're using the computer too much when:
26 you look out of the bus/car window on the way to work and think "hey, these
27 graphics are pretty cool"
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list