From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox & ALSA
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2018 13:22:01
1 On 05/07/18 08:54, Adam Carter wrote:
2 >         Does anyone know of a reason why this would happen?
5 > Is firefox built with pulseaudio? If so, check the pavucontrol settings
6 > too (media-sound/pavucontrol)
7 >
8 > Perhaps VLC is talking directly to ALSA, but firefox is talking to
9 > pulseaudio to get to ALSA, and there's an issue with pulse hence the
10 > discrepancy between VLC and firefox.
11
12 No PulseAudio on the machine, Lennart makes my skin crawl, and I think
13 you can infer from that that there has never been PulseAudio on the
14 machine. It basically boils down to:
15
16 Before holiday -> Firefox/Youtube makes noise.
17
18 Go away for a holiday
19
20 Come back from holiday
21
22 Turn on computer -> no boot, "dead in the water", "this is an ex-parrot".
23 ...
24 ...
25 ...
26 etc
27
28 Whilst writing this I had a brain wave. Was Firefox
29 hardcoded/defaulting to "reading/writing/working" the first discovered
30 sound card? I subsequently removed the tricks that I had done to get VLC
31 working and rebooted. No sound as expected. "lspci -nn | grep -i audio"
32 and "aplayer -l" shows the nVidia chip to be first:
33
34 0a:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition
35 Audio Controller [10de:10f1] (rev a1)
36 0c:00.3 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device
37 [1022:1457]
38
39 so can I disable the HDMI sound chip with an ebuild option in the nvidia
40 ebuild - it appears not. Next can I reorder the discovery/assignment
41 process?
42
43 More googling found:
44
45 https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/wrong-sound-card-order-in-alsa-4175544059/
46
47 and
48
49 http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:hardware:audio_and_snd-hda-intel
50
51 which resulted in me having to rebuild my kernel as I usually have
52 everything linked in, no modules, and updating the
53
54 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf
55
56 file. I added the lines below. Note that the vid & pid values for the
57 AMD are now assigned first.
58
59 alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
60 alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
61 options snd-hda-intel index=0 vid=1022 pid=1457
62 options snd-hda-intel index=1 vid=10de pid=10f1
63
64 A reboot and I now have sound everywhere - YEAH!!!!!!
65
66 There is every chance that someone way more versed in the innards of
67 the boot process may indicate holes in the above but hey, it works.
68
69 Andrew