From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 07:10:32
1 I have read through all replies, but I still did not find
2 answers to my original questions:
3
4 Q1: Can I somehow reduce the size of /run? I know it is tmpfs
5 and I know this is upper limit normally never achieved, but
6 I want to reduce this upper limit. Is it possible, or is it
7 hard-coded to half of physical memory?
8
9 Q2: Can I turn this "/run in tmpfs" feature off? I do not
10 see *any* advantage in vasting memory for /run (although
11 I agree there might be some point in moving "run" from
12 /var/run to /run). But I see one big problem:
13
14 If badly written application starts writing some crap in
15 /run, it could deadlock my computer quite easily. And before
16 you ask, no it is not so easy to do with /run on hard-drive
17 because I have plenty of TB there and monitoring software
18 running which alerts me as soon as any partition is half
19 full. Unfortunatelly this does not work for tmpfs because
20 with given read/write speed of ram-disk it would be full
21 in a few seconds before I had any chance to act...
22
23 Jarry
24
25 --
27 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
28 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.