From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 20:54:58
1 On Sunday 23 Feb 2014 23:54:32 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > [ snip ]
5 >
6 > > Well, I'm no authority on this since I can't code,
7 >
8 > My point exactly.
9
10 I think your point is not valid, unless you view Linux as an operating system
11 intended for and inviting comments only from an inspired l33t who can code and
12 it is *only* their user requirements that count.
13
14 I understand though that it is their/their employer's choice as to how they
15 spend their coding time and what they spend it on. I am not ungrateful for
16 their generosity whether I agree with their approach or not.
19 > And that's the point; the people doing this changes *obviously
20 > understand Unix*. They understand it so well that they are able to
21 > look at it honestly, beyond dogma or articles of faith, and see its
22 > downsides, so they can try to fix them.
23
24 You seem to have a lot of faith in their approach and choice-limiting
25 decisions. They have made arbitrary decisions in developing their software in
26 ways contrary to their predecessors. I don't know if this is because they are
27 cleverer than their predecessors, or more ignorant/arrogant/wrong.
30 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
31 >
32 > This reminds me of the people that quote from religious books to argue
33 > about anything non theological. The "rules" and "sound bites" in the
34 > links you provide are there to summarize rules of thumb; they are NOT
35 > scripture, and they are certainly NOT the only way to get a
36 > technically good program that is easily maintainable. In other words,
37 > you can ignore most of them, or just following them to a point, and
38 > anyway end up with a sound design and a technically great program that
39 > is easy to maintain and extend.
40
41 I agree. This is not a religion, but a statement of design principles based
42 on some observations of what seemed to work (at the time) that were made after
43 the event.
46 > The people with coding experience (or most of them anyway) understand
47 > this; we are not a religion, we don't have prophets that speak the
48 > undeniably truth. We have highly skilled developers who can have
49 > opposing views on how to design and implement many different ideas,
50 > and that doesn't (necessarily) means that any of them are wrong.
51
52 We agree again, except that some of these opposing ideas are limiting future
53 development choices and current user options.
56 > There are many ways to solve a problem of sets of problems. Having
57 > Emacs doesn't mean vi is "wrong", nor having GNOME means KDE is
58 > "wrong", nor the other way around.
59
60 KDE took a wrong turn the moment it started emulating Gnome by hardcoding
61 redland a whole host of components in its pursuit of a semantic desktop,
62 removing choice from users who would be otherwise very happy with the KDE3
63 functionality. Many users have voted with their feet - not because they can
64 code better or code at all, but because they still have a choice as plain
65 users.
66
67 At least KDE has not hardcoded a requirement for systemd as Gnome now has.
70 > >> I've now concluded it's a myth, much like invisible pink unicorns.
71 > >>
72 > >> Is it like the kernel? A huge monolithic chunk of code with support for
73 > >> modules?
74 > >
75 > > I would think that although the kernel has grown over the years, it has
76 > > not done so like systemd. You can still *not* build modules you don't
77 > > need in your kernel.
78 >
79 > This has nothing to do with "Unix principles"; it's just that someone
80 > willing and able implemented the different options.
81
82 Well, "someone willing and able implemented the different options", but did so
83 by following the paradigm of modular development.
86 > > The Unix design philosophy may not be globally applicable, but has served
87 > > Linux well over the years.
88 >
89 > No; what has served Linux is to have developers willing and able to
90 > write the necessary code, following whatever design they decide is the
91 > correct one.
92
93 I think we have a fundamental disagreement here. The Unix design principles
94 inc. modularisation and extensibility make good sense when seen from the
95 perspective of many contributors adding to and improving code in a piece meal
96 fashion. X11 did not follow this approach and ended up with convoluted
97 unmaintainable code that had to be broken up.
98
99 Having developers able and willing to write code is of course a precondition,
100 but not just any code. It has to be code which others can pick up, improve
101 and extend. In other words, they have to write code which is versatile, being
102 respectful of and keeping in mind future development effort.
105 > > Lennart has de facto introduced a different way of
106 > > developing his Linux code, which to others and me seems more restrictive.
107 >
108 > First of all, it's not only Lennart; the systemd repo has (literally)
109 > dozens of contributors with write access.
110 >
111 > Second of all, calling "restrictive" the tightly integrated approach,
112 > is exactly as constructive as calling "anarchic" the loosely
113 > integrated one. Like "Unix principles", it means nothing and it says
114 > nothing.
115
116 On the contrary, I think it says something quite specific: Lennart and other
117 contributors have decided to not follow a modular approach and have hard
118 wired components into a growing monolith. In doing so they have remove choice
119 from users. You want Gnome? You *must* user systemd. At least for this
120 reason alone his and other contributors design approach is deficient and
121 criticised by many as inappropriate for Linux.
122
123 I expect that ultimately, this hard wiring will meet its timely end because it
124 is by its nature self-limiting and a new development effort will start again.
125 --
126 Regards,
127 Mick