From: Ezequiel Tolnay <mail@×××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD authoring and AV sync problems with mpeg2 source
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 04:09:08
1 Ezequiel Tolnay wrote:
2
3 > I was wondering if any of you has had a similar problem and figured
4 > a way to maintain the AV in sync after converting an mpeg to AVI
5 > format, or if any of you can give me any clues as to why is this
6 > happening and a way to prevent/solve it.
7
8 After much fidling with it, I found a solution for it, and would like to
9 share it with whoever has this problem in the future. The problem is
10 basically that the mpeg2 source has repeated frames, and the transcode
11 utility filters them without compensating with the audio, thus creating
12 a synching issue. If the source is already mpeg2 for video and audio but
13 the dvdauthor doesn't like it, that's because the video also needs to be
14 built for DVD (some kind of meta information between frames, or
15 something like that). The same for other formats such as SVCD.
16
17 In my case the video had already the proper codecs (both mpeg2), the
18 proper size (352x288 for PAL, which is fine), and the proper audio
19 bitrate (224), but not formatted for DVD. To format it properly, use the
20 following:
21
22 mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf harddup
23 -o dvdformatted.mpg original.mpg
24
25 Should your source be in a different format, mencoder can take care
26 of the proper transformations, there is a tutorial and a series of
27 examples about it at
28 www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-vcd-dvd.html (the page takes an
29 eternity to load, by the way...). To create the DVD I used qdvdauthor,
30 which is quite primitive but gets the job done quite nicely.
31
32 Happy authoring!
33
34 Ezequiel