From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 19:56:59
1 On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 03:08:36AM -0500, Taiidan@×××.com wrote
2 > What makes it better than icecat, iceweasel, foxcat, and so on?
3
4 I don't use any of them, so I can't do a comparison. BTW, Iceweasel
5 is no more https://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel
6
7 > As of 9th of June, 2016 the package Firefox-ESR replaces Iceweasel,
8 > and is in Wheezy and Jessie security repositories.
9
10 Pale Moon is an independant fork of Firefox. It was based on Firefox
11 code as a starting point but is going its own way; e.g. no
12 Atrocious^H^H^H^H^H^H Austraulis UI. That was what drove me away from
13 it. I've always customised the menus for maximum usable screen space,
14 plus text (not icons) for the menu.
15
16 I wasn't initially concerned when that version of Firefox showed up.
17 What shocked me was the fact that Firefox removed the ability to
18 customize the UI to the "classic" look. They must've realized that
19 people would hate Austraulis. Soon, the most-downloaded addons were
20 "classic UI restorer" addons.
21
22 I switched to Sea Monkey for a while, and eventually to Pale Moon.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications