From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:46:19
1 Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > You have a good point but there is a problem. Some of the kernels I
4 > tried ran on this machine with uptimes of several weeks and not one
5 > lock up. It could be some upgrade that affected this but who knows
6 > what that was since I have updated a lot. As for nvidia, I tried both
7 > versions that work with my card that are in portage. I got the same
8 > with that no matter what I tried.
9 >
10 > As for .39 kernels, I mentioned in this mess somewhere that I had
11 > upgraded but ran into problems with that series so I deleted them. I
12 > may just be adding to the problems I am having if I do upgrade again.
13 > But since I got to try something, I'll try the latest .39 and see what
14 > it does.
15 >
16 > I remember having this type of problem once before. It turned out to
17 > be a gcc problem if I recall correctly. I went back a version of gcc
18 > and then did a emerge -e world. After that, things worked fine.
19 > Thing is, I have had the same gcc since I built this rig according to
20 > genlop.
21 >
22 > Weird.
23 >
24 > Dale
25 >
26 > :-) :-)
29 I tried the latest .39 kernel. It does the exact same thing as a .38
30 kernel. I also tried a kernel that was the first one I made when I
31 built this rig. It locked up as well. It appears to me that either
32 every single kernel, including ones that worked fine before, are either
33 broke or it is not related to the kernel itself. I'm starting to bet on
34 the last one.
35
36 I did notice one thing tho. When I tried to emerge the nvidia drivers
37 for the .39 kernel, emerge wanted to DOWNGRADE glibc. This ain't my
38 first trip to Linux land. Can someone explain to me why the heck emerge
39 wants to do something as crazy as that? I think every one here knows
40 that is a really bad thing to even think of much less actually try. Is
41 it possible that something in glibc is causing trouble and this is
42 someone's wet dream to fix it?
43
44 Thanks.
45