From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo + wifi
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 07:08:28
1 210321 Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2021-03-21 at 21:25 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> my question is, if I use the Wifi services,
4 >> is whether I would need to add hardware to my machine
5 > It depends on if your motherboard has an integrated Wifi chip or not.
6 > If it does not have an external connector for an antenna,
7 > it probably doesn't have the hardware. However, USB wifi adapters
8 > are quite affordable and sufficient for your use case, in my opinion.
9
10 I built the machine in 2015 & it doesn't have an integrated Wifi chip.
11 I plan to built a new machine in Autumn 2021, so it looks
12 as if I wb best simply transfering my present set-up to my new place
13 & exploring the possibilities of Wifi after I've got organised there.
14
15 >> & whether I would need to add any packages to my Gentoo system.
16 > Yes, you will. You'll need to find out what chipset is used
17 > by the adapter you want to add. Once you have that,
18 > you can enable the appropriate kernel drivers and rebuild,
19 > then you'll need to install 'net-wireless/wpa_supplicant'
20 > to make the actual connection. 'wpa_supplicant' can be cumbersome
21 > to set up by hand, but the Arch wiki has a very comprehensive page[1]
22 > on how to configure it. Alternatively, there are GUI tools
23 > for managing the configuration the aptly named 'wpa_gui' is usually enough;
24 > to get this, you need to enable the 'qt5' USE flag for 'wpa_supplicant',
25 > but if you're connecting to 1 network and never changing the configuration,
26 > that mb overkill. [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wpa_supplicant
27
28 Thanks for your very clear, prompt & comprehensive explanation (big smile).
32 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
33 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
34 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca