From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo on a raspberry pi with omxplayer
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:23:12
1 On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 19:27:21 +0800
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > Hi, I have a working gentoo base system on a new RPI B model. I am
5 > starting to add X and ratpoison with the aim of using omxplayer to a
6 > nfs share from my mythbox, but hope someone else has been there
7 > before me.
8 >
9 > In reality, I would like to just run omxplayer on a minimum
10 > framebuffer, but not sure if it will use the acceleration (google
11 > hits are ambiguous) as Ive bought the mpeg2 codec licence.
12 >
13 > Any hints/guides on how to do this could save me a lot of time :)
16 Hi Bill,
17
18 I have no experience using omxplayer on a Pi connecting to a mythbox,
19 but i do have experience running several ports of xbmc on a Pi to play
20 media (I reckon they are comparable), and I will happily share my
21 conclusions with you:
22
23 It's not worth the effort.
24
25 No matter what you do, no matter what tweaks you try to employ, the Pi
26 just does not have enough CPU grunt to do the job. Oh, it's fine with
27 small low-resolution files and straightforward audio, but sooner or
28 later you'll want to run some media that needs more and the Pi falls
29 down on that score. It's usually because it has to decode the audio in
30 software on the CPU. In my case I don;t have kit I can passthrough
31 audio to (I use a regular TV), so YMMV if you have decent audio kit.
32
33 I eventually gave up trying to coerce my Pi into working and asked
34 Santa Claus for an Xtreamer Ultra 2 instead (he complied) and all my
35 HTPC problems are fixed.
36
37 If your intent is to learn something by all means proceed (you will
38 learn, and lots of it :-). But if you are looking for something to use
39 that works, it's probably only fair you know up front the odds of
40 success are not good.
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com