From: Christoph Gysin <cgysin@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] external conceptronic box
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:17:04
1 Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > I'm thinking of purchasing a "Conceptronic External USB 2.0 Hard Disk
3 > Box 3.5 (CHD3U)", together with a IDE hd, to use mostly for backups.
4 > Anyone has any experience with this? The main question is: Should I
5 > worry about drivers?
6
7 Every USB (2.0) disk/stick is covered by the USB mass-storage driver. You'll need:
8 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD (USB 2.0)
9 CONFIG_USB_STORAGE (mass-storage)
10 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD (SCSI-disk)
11
12 After connecting the disk, check dmesg to see which device has been created.
13 Most probably it's /dev/sda, if you don't have any other SCSI/USB disks.
14
15 > (Sorry for the OT'ness, but it _is_ to be used with gentoo :))
16
17 Don't worry. gentoo-user is used to it ;-)
18
19 Christoph
20 --
21 echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" org@fr33z3