From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xorg: Failed to load module: glx fglrx
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:09:00
1 On Tuesday 28 November 2006 16:26, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan <at> linuxholdings.co.za> writes:
3 > > You might want to emerge module-rebuild to help with such things in
4 > > future. It tracks which ebuilds install kenrel modules that need to
5 > > be rebuilt, and rebuilds them all with one command. So you still
6 > > have to remember to run it after a kernel upgrade, but at least it
7 > > removes the resulting hassle if you forget about one of the
8 > > packages
9 >
10 > Ahhh,
11 >
12 > But does it detect kernel changes and pop itself into the list when
13 > one runs some like 'emerge -uDp ' ???
14
15 I've never looked into the ebuilds to see how they manage it, but the
16 on-screen output shows lines saying things like "registering self with
17 module-update" or words to that effect. So I suppose the answer to your
18 question is yes.
19
20 You can also use "module-rebuild add" to add stuff manually
21 and "module-rebuild populate" to automatically find relevant modules
22 the first time
23
24 > That's what's needed is both a list of what to rebuild and an
25 > automated reminder. I have so many gentoo systems running now, it's
26 > difficult for my _tiny_little_brain to remember what I did, where and
27 > when.....
28
29 You only need to update them after new kernel installation and maybe
30 after recompiling a kernel. You should always know when you update a
31 kernel 'coz you do it maually right? :-) So then remember to run
32 module-update as well. With some man page reading you may event find a
33 hook out of genkernel to do it automatically (but I never bothered
34 researching if this is even possible)
35
36 alan
37 --
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list