From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cloning a Gentoo box
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:49:37
1 On Tuesday 02 May 2006 08:18, Ronald V. Vazquez wrote:
2 > Hello all:
3 >
4 > I wanted to get some ideas from the list on how to clone a Gentoo box.
5 > Perhaps others on the list are interested as well.
6 >
7 > Thanks,
8 > RV
9 we've used 3 different ways: a program called systemimager (works great, but
10 is made for redhat and getting it to work on gentoo was fairly non-trivial)
11 what i call a "stage 4", install the system, then make a tarball of the whole
12 thing (requires a storage medium that can store huge files)
13 partimage (stores each partition as a file) also requires a storage system
14 that can take > 2gb files
15
16 of those, the systemimager is the only one you can really do a pxeboot and
17 install from. but as I said, it requires some work and an infrastructure
18 (including an image server and dhchp server you control)
19 --
20 John Jolet
21 Your On-Demand IT Department
22 512-762-0729