From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] modem problem : Speedstream vs Zoom
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:28:49
1 I've run into a bizarre problem with broadband & modems. For a long time,
2 I've happily connected to the I/net using an ancient Speedstream modem (2001).
3 Wanting to take advantage of the recent installation of fibre optics here
4 to get higher speed, I contacted my ISP, a small & helpful Canadian company,
5 who decided I needed a more upto-date modem & sent a Zoom modem+router.
6 After much trial & error, I've got the Zoom working with Mandriva,
7 which I have installed alongside Gentoo in my regular desktop machine
8 (it's there because I wanted to help a cousin who's a Linux beginner;
9 I also have Ubuntu for the same reason, which also works with the Zoom),
10 but not with Gentoo.
11
12 The speed with Mandriva (& Ubuntu) is still as before the fibre arrived,
13 but that's a different issue, probably due to old wiring inside the house.
14 However, it's no use getting that wiring upgraded,
15 if I can't use the resulting service with Gentoo.
16
17 Both Mandriva & my Gentoo use Kernel 2.6.33 & I've recompiled the kernel
18 to include all the various PPP-related drivers Mandriva compiles as modules
19 (I have them as part of the actual kernel via 'Y', not as modules);
20 I've also recompiled Gentoo pkgs 'ppp baselayout sysvinit';
21 I've also tried copying options from Mandriva files in /etc/ppp/
22 to similar files in Gentoo, though they use the older Rp-pppoe approach.
23 Still the same line in 'daemon.log' : "timeout waiting for PADO packets,
24 unable to complete PPPoE discovery".
25
26 Has anyone else run into this kind of problem ?
27 Does anyone have suggestions what Mandriva mb doing which Gentoo needs to do ?
28
29 Again, Gentoo & Mandriva both work with the Speedstream modem,
30 but only Mandriva works with the newer Zoom modem, not Gentoo.
34 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
35 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
36 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca