From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 19:14:43
1 On 05/05/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > This is the home edition and ping was not there before. I just
4 > reinstalled it, it crashed, I may give it another go. Maybe this
5 > install has it.
6
7 The home edition also has the ping command. Bring up the c:> prompt
8 and ping your Linux box address. Also, netstat -ano will show you
9 which ip addresses your windoze box is connected to.
10
11 On the other hand, why does it crash? Are you sure it is an OS
12 problem and not a hardware problem? These days a properly configured
13 and patched Windoze box should be pretty stable.
14
15 PS. Block 135-139, 445 and 3389 ports to/from the Internet at the LAN
16 periphery. Otherwise, your box could get backdoored before you even
17 had a chance to run any M$Windoze updates. ;-)
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list