From: Steven Susbauer <stupendoussteve@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is causing x11-terms/xterm to be dragged in?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 04:33:15
1 On Fri, 26 May 2006, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2
3 > Steven Susbauer wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Fri, 26 May 2006, michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
8 > > >I should have included that in my original email, of course:
9 > > >
10 > > >$ grep USE /etc/make.conf | grep -v "^#"
11 > > >USE="berkdb innodb"
12 > > >
13 > > >I have no /usr/portage/package.use
14 > > >
15 > > >$ grep USE /etc/make.profile/make.defaults
16 > > >USE="alsa apm arts avi bitmap-fonts cups eds emboss encode fortran
17 > > >foomaticdb
18 > > >gdbm gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib jpeg kde libg++ libwww mad
19 > > >mikmod
20 > > >motif mp3 mpeg ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pdflib png qt quicktime sdl spell
21 > > >truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis X xml2 xmms xv"
22 > > >
23 > > >AHA!
24 > > >
25 > > >but the man page for emerge says not to edit
26 > > >/etc/make.profile/make.defaults.
27 > > >How do I get X out of there? If in fact that's the cause of my problem?
28 > > >
29 > > >Michael
30 > > >
33 > > Everything you put in /etc/make.conf should be based on the
34 > > make.defaults, or possible things you want enabled.
35 > > If X is in make.defaults, add -X to make.conf to disable it. You should
36 > > probably add "-X -opengl -gnome -gtk -gtk2 -kde -qt" to /etc/make.conf at
37 > > least, that should hopefully fix your issues.
38 > >
39 > > -Steven
40 > Curious that "X" should be in make.defaults. Does that mean that the devs
41 > think that everyone wants X loaded?
42 >
43 > Tony
46 I think the basic default use flags are meant to be for a "general
47 purpose" system, which would usually include X. If you are lazy and don't
48 want to change your use flags, chances are you won't have to, at least not
49 very much, to have all of your programs work. If you're able to use the
50 system without X installed, it's most likely assumed you can add -X to
51 make.conf.
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list