From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:10:22
1 On Wed 17 August 2011 13:56:10 Grant did opine thusly:
2 > I currently use a free service to host the DNS records for my
3 > website, but I'm thinking of running a DNS server on the same
4 > machine that runs my website instead. Would that be fairly trivial
5 > to set up and maintain? If so, which package should I use?
6
7 The first question is Why?
8
9 There's no real benefit, it's a huge amount of work for little gain,
10 you carry the cost of increased traffic yourself, and if that host
11 goes blip, you not only lose access to the web server but to the
12 entire zone as well.
13
14 Technically there's no good reason why you can't co-host web and dns.
15 However, depending on your upper level domain and registrar, TWO dns
16 servers may be a requirement (this is the norm) and you propose only
17 one. Where's the second one going to be? Only one is a very bad idea
18 indeed.
19
20 Your last two questions reveal that this is not something you are
21 familiar with already, so I highly recommend you investigate
22 everything thoroughly and fully understand just what you are letting
23 yourself in for before deciding.
24
25 If you simply don't like your current DNS provider, then finding a
26 different one you do like is quite simple.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com