From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Minor Startup Issue
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:32:07
1 Hi all,
2
3 You'll probably think this is dumb, but what can I say? I'm a bit anal
4 is some respects! :-)
5
6 Today, I updated my desktop system and recompiled a new kernel.
7 Afterwards I re-emerged alsa-driver and ati-drivers.
8
9 The update solved an issue with not being able to turn off or reboot the
10 computer when I selected either from the menu on KDE logout. Everything
11 is working fine once KDE is launched.
12
13 When I recompiled the kernel, I decided to trim it down some. I use
14 genkernel and mostly have left all the defaults in there except for the
15 pertinent parts for the alsa-driver and ati-drivers as outlined in the
16 associated Gentoo Guides. However, since this is a desktop machine, I
17 figured it was safe to remove stuff associated with laptops, so that's
18 what I did.
19
20 Anyway, the problem is not that things aren't working. It's that
21 something is happening differently and it's driving me nuts.
22
23 Up until now, when the computer boots and goes through its startup
24 routine, the screen will "blip" and then the text that is scrolling by
25 on the screen prior to starting the gui interface, reduces in size.
26 Now, the screen still does a slight "blip", but the screen font remains
27 the same size as it was prior to the "blip".
28
29 I have no idea how to fix this behaviour. If someone knows and can
30 provide direction, I would appreciate it.
31
32 Regards,
33
34 Colleen