From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] finding out current softlevel
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:26:34
1 On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:42:02 +0200, linux@×××××××××××××××.de wrote:
2
3 > I was wondering whether there is some way to find out the current
4 > running softlevel (which I gave to the kernel line in grub's
5 > menu.lst), for example to start another window manager depending on
6 > the softlevel or whatever other possible solutions? Maybe in a
7 > variable like $SOFTLEVEL ?
8
9 The arguments you gave to the kernel when booting are in /proc/cmdline,
10 but that may not be the current softlevel, it may have been changed since
11 booting. With baselayout-1, the current softlevel is
12 in /var/lib/init.d/softlevel. There may be a similar file for
13 baselayout-2 but I haven't had the need to find it yet.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
20 A. Only one - who gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the
21 problem to an earlier joke.