From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] portage no longer in world?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 04:46:14
1 Hi there,
2
3 I kinda feel I'm opening myself up for ridicule in asking this, but I'm on x86 "stable" (i.e. not ~x86) and this behaviour seems to have changed recently.
4
5 During a recent `emerge --sync` I received the "an update to portage is available - you're strongly advised to take it" message.
6
7 I'm sure that in the past `emerge -u world` would update portage.
8
9 Now:
10
11 # emerge -up world
12
13 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
14 Calculating dependencies... done!
15
16 [ebuild U ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.3 [2.0.2]
17
18 # emerge -up system
19
20 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
21 Calculating dependencies... done!
22
23 [ebuild U ] sys-apps/baselayout-2.0.3 [2.0.2]
24
25 # emerge -up portage
26
27 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
28 Calculating dependencies... done!
29
30 [ebuild U ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.10.3 [2.1.9.42] USE="less%*"
31
32 #
33
34 The answer to this, for me, is not to move to testing / unstable / ~x86 portage. Not on this box, I don't think, at least. I've seen that suggested here in the past as "oh, everyone should be on ~86 / ~amd64 for portage" (is that the 2.2 series of Portage??) and really I don't see the need for myself. The current version really does everything I need, and I'd rather stay as much x86 ("stable") as possible.
35
36 What I'm really asking for here is a sanity check:
37 Is this the behaviour I should be seeing?
38 Was I really seeing `emerge -u world` updating portage before?
39
40 I don't really have a problem with `emerge -u portage` then `emerge -u world`, I'm just wondering if that's right.
41 Is there a better way to include portage in my regular maintenance updates?
42
43 TIA,
44
45 Stroller.