From: Catalin Trifu <catalin@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why ity has to be so frustrating !!!
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:23:41
1 Why not use software RAID ? You don't necessarily need
2 the hardware RAID and as far as I know software RAID works just as
3 fine as the hardware RAID.
6 Catalin
7
8 Allan Spagnol Comar wrote:
9 > Good afternoon list.
10 >
11 > I am trying now for 8 days to make nvidia RAID works on gentoo
12 > systems; I pass trhought all stages, I had difficult make live cd
13 > works, then after it works I have to use the hard way to make grub
14 > install.... after all that I thought it was every thing cool and I
15 > would be allowed to run my gentoo, I was wrong.
16 >
17 > I had tried genkernel and Hard way ( a script to genrate initrd ) on
18 > kernel 2.6.16 and none of then work, always complaining that real_root
19 > wasn´t there and I could run a shell and really there was just
20 > /dev/mapper/control no raid device. So some wise guys said to me,
21 > there is a bug on 2.6.16 that doesn´t work with RAID 0, so I emerged
22 > 2.6.15-r1 and tried again both ways, genkernel and the other ......
23 > again none of them work, with a addin, my kernel panics at boot !
24 >
25 > so were should I go now, just use windows .... because infortunilly
26 > every single hardware fabricant just think of windows users...... I
27 > can not erase my windows, and RAID on windows gives a real boost. So
28 > what is left to me is keep trying make the louse nvidia fake raid work
29 > on linux ......
30 >
31 > I pray for a wise guy that had done this before !!!! HELP ME !!!!! I
32 > think I had tried everything I know and some things that I didn´t know
33 > either !!!!
34 >
35 > sorry for the large mail and the terrible english ..... but, could
36 > anyone help .....
37 >
38 > thanks ..... Allan
39 >
40 > PS. ( for more explanations on what happened on my system there is a
41 > thread on the list,
42 > subject: Help with nvidia fake raid. )
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list