From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] telephony
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:31:46
1 hi there,
2 i'm looking for suggestions and guidance. I have a vps host with
3 gentoo on it, i dont think the vps is stable enough to ensure a good
4 quality of service, but it could just need an upgrade, no big deal. I
5 need a phone and the way i decided to go was to get a connection to
6 the internet and use voip or similar services.
7
8 I've looked into several ideas, but the last one that remains a good
9 'deal' is to set it all up myself, for free (but lots of work)!
10
11 I'm thinking on setting up asterisk, but having read about it in the
12 past, i know as soon as i set it up it will take more of my time than
13 my girlfriend ever dreamed of! It seems extremely difficult to setup,
14 specially for a newbie, I'm wondering if you guys know of a few good
15 guides (that you have experience with, i can google too) for this and
16 if you had any suggestion, pointers, starters mostly...
17
18 I've read those, but I'm sure there are a lot of surprises not covered
19 by these...
20 http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+Linux+Gentoo
21 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Asterisk
22
23 Thanks for any help!
26 When Earth was the only inhabited planet in the Galaxy, it was a
27 primitive place, militarily speaking. The only weapon they had ever
28 invented worth mentioning was a crude and inefficient nuclear-reaction
29 bomb for which they had not even developed the logical defense. -
30 Asimov