From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] SSH port forwards behind restrictive firewall
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:12:27
1 Hi All,
2
3 I think that I have confused myself with this. I am behind a firewall/http
4 proxy which seems to only allow outbound connections on ports 80 & 443 for
5 web browsing. This is not enough for me, as I would like to use my mail
6 client to send and receive mail from behind the firewall.
7
8 I tried connecting to ssh servers which listen on different ports, besides
9 tcp/22 and I was not successful. This is probably an indication that the
10 internet gateway machine only accepts connections for packets that have a
11 destination to ports 80 & 443.
12
13 If the above is correct, am I right to assume that to be able to run a tunnel
14 through this internet gateway I should run something like:
15
16 ssh -L 2222:localhost:443 me@remote_sshd.com
17
18 or are ssh packets somehow distinguishable by their headers, so that a
19 cleverly crafted firewall will still identify them and drop them?
20 --
21 Regards,
22 Mick