From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone using kernel 4.1.8 in a virtualbox guest machine?
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2015 00:57:10
1 On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 20:59:01 -0400
2 Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 05:47:37PM -0700, walt wrote:
5 > > (I'm asking this question only because I'm curious about the
6 > > problem I'm about to describe. I've already worked around it.)
7 > >
8 > > I updated the kernel in my gentoo virtualbox guest machine to 4.1.8
9 > > and got a kernel panic after rebooting the guest. (The panic was
10 > > in the guest machine, not the host machine. Has anyone noticed how
11 > > ambiguous our English language is?)
12 > >
13 > > Anyway, I rebooted the guest machine with vmlinuz.old (3.18.21) and
14 > > then updated the guest to vanilla-sources-4.2.3 with no problems.
15 > >
16 > > (I omit several hours of confused
17 > > reconfiguring/recompiling/rebooting because you really don't want
18 > > to hear about them.)
19 > >
20 > > So, what is different or strange about kernel 4.1.8? Anyone have
21 > > any problems with it on real hardware, or in other virtual
22 > > environments like qemu, vmware, xen, etc?
25 > I am running 4.1.8 on all my machines without any problems. Without
26 > seeing the stack trace and/or other output from the kernel panic, I
27 > would have no idea how to figure out what the problem was. I am also
28 > not a kernel wizard, so I probably wouldn't be much help anyways.
29
30 Okay, thanks. Just by chance, Fedora (which I also run in vbox)
31 updated to kernel 4.1.8 today and I had no trouble with it, so I'll use
32 their kernel config file in my gentoo guest machine to compile 4.1.8
33 and see if that fixes the panic. Experiments are fun :)