From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The sudden disappearance of ....WHAT??? (I/O error on a SD flash card?!)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 22:38:02
1 On 26/03/17 03:15, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > (Running Gentoo Linux on a 4.9.17 vanilla (ftp.kernel.org) Linux
5 > kernel)
6 >
7 > I was doing a backyp of a 64GB SAMSUNG flash card to my
8 > harddisk....which runs for quite a while...
9 >
10 > For that I mount the partitions and tarred their contents as root
11 > to the harddisk
12 >
13 > Syddenly out of nothing/from nowhere/into thin air or whatever:
14 > read errors happens and the process stops.
15 >
16 Step 1: dd the contents into an image
17 step 2: put the sdcard to one side.
18 step 3: loopback mount a copy of the image (not the original)
19 step 4: try recovering the filesystem on the loopback, if it fails ...
20 try something else on another image copy.
21
22 SDcard reliability sucks :(
23
24 William K.