From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 12:18:53
1 The reason this question is so hard to answer is because it is not a
2 technical question, it is a moral and ethical one. The links presented
3 start to approach the issue being discussed in this light but do not
4 entirely accept the right question. I suspect this is because it seems
5 rather absurd.
6
7 We shall analyze some popular responses in this light.
8
9 Systemd is easy to work around!
10 http://www.vitavonni.de/blog/201410/2014102101-avoiding-systemd.html
11 except,
12 https://lobste.rs/s/y5skqt/avoiding_systemd_isn_t_hard/comments/eayjn3#c_eayjn3
13 but http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html gives some
14 decent counterpoints,
15 which http://lwn.net/Articles/619992/ either supports or is ambivalent
16 about.
17
18 They all basically boil down to "someone is doing the work, and if it is a
19 better way to do it it will be okay." Except this isn't true. The proof by
20 contradiction is exceptionally simple:
21
22 If this was a just world, Lennart's pants would be on fire.
23 Lennart's pants are not on fire.
24 Therefore, this is not a just world, and justice must be manufactured.
25
26 You might ask why his pants (and the pants of most systemd supporters)
27 would be on fire. Well,
28 https://pappp.net/?p=969 clearly explains how FLOS is not UNIX, and
29 the easy counterpoints get thoroughly trashed
30 http://lwn.net/Articles/440843/, and
31 http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/11/20/systemd-redux/ here's a guy agreeing
32 and suggesting everyone hit the big red EJECT.
33
34 Why UNIX? Well, because that's just a concise, easy-to-phrase proxy for the
35 deeper issue of
36 https://pay.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2k5b7e/the_concern_isnt_that_systemd_itself_isnt/
37 (aside: read the C++ in the kernel tangent if you are not familiar, it
38 seems to mirror this argument taking place and notably, Linus has chosen a
39 side on that one!)
40 which is echoed here http://lwn.net/Articles/440843/
41 and here http://lwn.net/Articles/576078/
42 and here http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/ProSystemdAntiSystemd/ (start with
43 unix philosophy)
44 and here http://lwn.net/Articles/494605/.
45
46 Once upon a time I met a very masterful troll who got me to say precisely
47 what I needed to say precisely when I did not want to say it. What he got
48 me to say was:
49 >Oct 27 06:05:30 <*******> I study the orthodoxy consistently[sic]
50 >Oct 27 06:05:38 <R0b0t1`> To find its flaws, yes
51
52 So did Lennart &co. study the orthodox to learn from its failures? Did they
53 construct a conservative (re)implementation of the software exhibiting
54 those failures? It has been shown and continues to be shown that: no, they
55 are flying by the seat of their pants. A solution could have been
56 constructed which requires far less labor. Not only far less of *their*
57 labor, but far less labor for *everyone else* using a *nix. But they did
58 not thoroughly investigate such avenues, even within their
59 reimplementation! They are recreating bugs! It is impossible for them to
60 claim they are doing it over to do it right, as they have already failed at
61 that purpose.
62
63 They have been shown to have wasted effort and continue to do so. When
64 labor is scarce, that is the most unethical action one can undertake.