From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtual machines, and creating bootable images
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 10:15:19
1 On Friday, June 17, 2016 11:46:08 PM Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku wrote:
2 > I am looking at creating a gentoo install which I can use for my hosted
3 > servers. The documentation I have seen about doing so is to mount an
4 > "ISO" and then dd the mounted device to a data drive, make the data
5 > drive bootable (set it in the settings for hosting provider) and attach
6 > it to a server.
7 >
8 > I want to be able to build these images and test them in a virtual
9 > machine on my local server, then end up doing what I need on the hosting
10 > provider to get them in place.
11 >
12 > Quick research hasn't given me any clear guidance as to how I can export
13 > the virtual machine (ie. what even can do this) to an image that can be
14 > copied to a drive to produce a bootable drive.
15 >
16 > Anyone have some good starting points to think about this?
17
18 Not entirely how you are looking into this, but I generally do the following:
19
20 1) Build an install with the packages and config I need
21 2) Backup the binary packages
22 3) Backup all the config files I modified (keep a list during "1")
23 4) During install at remote site, copy the packages and install using the "-k"
24 flag
25
26 Any modern hosting site allows me to attach an ISO image to boot from. My
27 preference is sysresccd as it is Gentoo based and works quite well together
28 with the install guide.
31 Joost