From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: BIOS says 2GB, MemTest86 says 2GB, top says 900MB
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 04:31:02
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 19:08 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> > How does memory get reported up to the kernel? Is that something in
6 >> > the kernel (i.e. - choosing the proper chipset support or something)
7 >> > or is it purely the return from some sort of BIOS call? If so can it
8 >> > be tested or circumvented to get the machine to recognize everything
9 >> > I've put in?
10 >> >
11 >> > Thanks,
12 >> > Mark
13 >>
14 >> A very simple test - booting from an old Gentoo install CD - shows 2GB
15 >> - so apparently it's a kernel config issue.
16 >
17 > High Memory Support to be precise :)  In your case CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
18 > should do.
19 >
20 > Processor Type And Features
21 > => High Memory Support
22 >   => off / 4Gb / 64Gb
23 >
24 > --
25 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
26
27 Hi Iain,
28 That was already set unfortunately:
29
30 dragonfly linux # cat .config | grep CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
31 CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
32 dragonfly linux #
33
34 Being that it's an Intel chipset here's the INTEL specific stuff:
35
36 dragonfly linux # cat .config | grep INTEL
37 CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
38 CONFIG_CPU_SUP_INTEL=y
39 CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y
40 CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL=y
41 # CONFIG_MOXA_INTELLIO is not set
42 CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y
43 CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
44 CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=y
45 CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_INTELHDMI=y
46 # CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0 is not set
47 # CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0M is not set
48 # CONFIG_INTEL_IOATDMA is not set
49 # CONFIG_INTEL_MENLOW is not set
50 # CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL is not set
51 dragonfly linux #
52
53 I'm running up against one other thing. I haven't really worked on
54 this machine for awhile. Currently the disks are showing up as
55 /dev/hda and I thought with newer kernels they were supposed to be
56 /dev/sda. With my newest 2.6.32-gentoo-r1 it seems to be trying to be
57 /sda, but with 2.6.32-gentoo it's coming up /hda. Bottom line question
58 - can I dual list /dev/hda7 and /dev/sda7 in my fstab file so that
59 which ever one I boot at least it finds something?
60
61 Still looking for the cause of this missing memory.
62
63 Thanks!
64
65 From a California downpour tonight,