From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do subslots improve user-experience?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 21:28:38
1 On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:29:59 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > I can't understand the *need* for the new slot/subslot philosophy.
4
5 The need to it is clear. Previous methods worked by breaking things and
6 then fixing them, hopefully before the breakage became a problem,
7 whenever library APIs changed. Subslots are an attempt to deal with this
8 proactively by fixing the problems as they occur.
9
10 Whether subslots are the best way to do it, and whether the
11 implementation is ideal, as separate questions, but there is no doubt
12 that any system that relies on the existence of revdep-rebuild is
13 seriously flawed.
14
15 To my mind, the question is not "are subslots needed" but "are they the
16 best solution to this problem".
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Most software is about as user-friendly as a cornered rat!