From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Printer configuration for Flash
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 05:34:26
1 Hum, does anyway know how to set up the printer configuration for the
2 Macromedia Flash plugin?
3
4 Someone wrote a nifty flash page from which he offered a print button
5 to print the content generated. Unfortunately, it seems to only want
6 to send the job to lpr, without an option to print to file. Right
7 clicking on the flash widget doesn't help, since the Setup option
8 isn't very well done.
9
10 Two problems are encountered:
11
12 1) I don't have a printer on this box. cupsd was left over from a
13 long time ago when I did. So lpr really wouldn't do any good. It
14 would be nice if I could print to file and copy it to be printed
15 elsewhere.
16
17 2) Even if I do have a printer, the print command still won't work,
18 since there kept popping up an error:
19
20 lpr: error - unknown option ''!
21
22 I assume there was an environmental variable the plugin is reading,
23 possibly in trying to determine which printer to print to, and that
24 included passing a single-quote enclosed string to lpr....
25
26 Temporarily I have the problem "solved" in a very non-elegant way: I
27 replaced /usr/bin/lpr with a stub entry that is basically a
28 shellscript that calls 'cat' and dumps the output to a file in /tmp
29
30 But I hope there is a better solution...
31
32 Thanks,
33
34 W
35 --
36 In this course we will of course make use of God's Units, namely
37 h-bar = c = 1
38 but occasionally I will indulge myself in my personal addition to
39 those units, in the form of
40 2 = -1 = pi = i = 1
41 please feel free to interject whenever you feel confused, and I will
42 make my best effort to clarify things.
43 ~Prof. Herman Verlinde explaining the things.
44 PHY 509, Intro to QFT, first lecture 09-12-03
45 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 21:40
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list