From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Poor quality of wireless connection
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:51:58
1 On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM, José Romildo Malaquias
2 <j.romildo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hello.
4 >
5 > I have a notebook with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless
6 > card.
7 >
8 > In gentoo (kernel 3.4.3-gentoo) and also in Fedora 17 the connection
9 > through it is of poor quality. ping to the router is getting about 50%
10 > packet loss.
11 >
12 > With Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7 the connection is ok, without packet
13 > loss.
14 >
15 > Gentoo, Fedora and Ubuntu are all using the iwlwifi module for the
16 > centrino wireless card.
17
18 I have no experience with this card, but I had an Atheros card a few
19 years ago that was horrible when power saving mode was enabled. When I
20 disabled power saving, the performance was good. Of course this uses
21 more battery power... Maybe something similar happens with yours.
22 Especially if it works in Ubuntu, maybe you can look at the settings
23 with iwconfig and figure out what the difference is between that and
24 Gentoo.