From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to stop mouse motion
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:15:03
1 On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 15 November 2008, 21:55, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
3 >
4 >> So I want a way to tell the kernel or X11 to ignore mouse motion.
5 >> Either to shut down mouse motion completely, or to allow it but to
6 >> ignore it for the effect considering the computer as idle. I have
7 >> performed a quick read of kernel code and of the xorg.conf man page
8 >> but I see no clue.
9 >>
10 >> Anybody knows?
11 >
12 > Did you try reducing mouse sensitivity? See man xset.
13 >
14 I know about xset, but its man page does not contain the word
15 "sensitivity". I have, though, reduced the resolution of the mouse
16 through the kernel parameter psmouse.resolution=100.
17 It seems to have solved the problem. To have the mouse in a good
18 speed, I have increased acceleration from 2 to 4 and decreased
19 threshold from 4 to 3. This is with a xset mouse 4 3 command that is
20 called when Xfce starts.
21
22 Two comments:
23 1) xorg.conf does have a "Resolution" option, but setting is has no
24 effect. I do have to pass the resolution as a kernel parameter.
25 2) There should be a way to set acceleration and threshold in xorg.conf.
26
27 Regards,
28 Jorge Peixoto
31 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds