From: Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] startx with multiple window managers
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:39:59
1 I'm looking for a better way to manage multiple WMs.
2
3 I launch X with startx. I also use multiple window managers. I'm primarily on xmonad because I love tiling WMs, but I also keep xfce around for whever I developing a GUI or letting my fiancee use my machine. My procedure for starting multiple managers is this:
4
5 - log in
6 - startx
7 - login on tty2
8 - edit .xinitrc (shown below)
9 - startx -- :1
10
11 .xinitrc goes from:
12
13 > exec xmonad
14 > #exec startxfce4
15
16 to:
17 > #exec xmonad
18 > exec startxfce4
19
20 Then I can switch between tty7 and tty8 at will. Usually I don't start xfce at all, but for the times when I do, I'd be nice to do this without editing a file. Can I simplify this process? Is there anyone else who uses multiple WMs? How do you manage them?
21
22 Randy