From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : on-going frustration
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2022 20:45:38
1 On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 1:13 PM Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Back in April 2022, I asked for advice here re parts for a new machine
4 (ANB6)
5 > & got some very helpful info (thanks to everyone).
6 > Since then, it hasn't worked out very well
7 > & I'm still relying on my 7-year-old machine (ANB5).
8 >
9 > I want an AMD CPU, based on past experience ;
10 > I prefer a Gigabyte mobo ditto, but will consider other makes.
11 > I would like to have PCIe 4.0 , which is much faster than 3.0 ,
12 > to improve Gentoo compile times ; I don't do gaming.
13 > I would like to avoid a separate graphics card,
14 > which are expensive & seem today to be designed for gaming enthusiasts.
15 > I want to buy from a physical store, not delivered by an on-line order,
16 > in case there's a defect, so that I can easily take it back to the store.
17 >
18 > Looking at the offerings from Canada Computers, my most convenient store,
19 > which I have used for all 5 of my previous home-built machines,
20 > my impression is that if you get PCIe 4.0 ,
21 > you don't get CPU graphics, but have to buy a separate graphics card ;
22 > if you have built-in graphics in the CPU, you get only PCIe 3.0.
23 >
24 > I might be willing to get an Intel CPU,
25 > but in their specifications there's no mention of PCIe (3 or 4) :
26 > is this an accident or are PCIe's confined to AMD ?
27 > Intel seems to be a quite different world from AMD today.
28 >
29 > Does anyone have any useful advice or suggestions ?
30 >
31 > --
33 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
34 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
35 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
38 Look for an AMD X570 chipset MB. I think you can find what you're looking
39 for.
40
41 HTH,
42 Mark