From: Joseph <syscon780@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB permission/owner - change not allowed as root
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:32:05
1 On 12/30/13 10:38, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 >> I too ran the chown command on my USB flash and got the same
5 >> response as you did:
6 >>
7 >> localhost001 media # chown cru:users flash-drive1/
8 >> chown: changing ownership of ‘flash-drive1/’: Operation not
9 >> permitted
10 >>
11 >> drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 16384 Dec 31 1969 flash-drive1
12 >>
13 >> Don't know what to tell you. interesting....my says Dec 31 1969.
17 >Read the man page for mount, section vfat.
20 >You can't change the owner as FAT doesn't have a concept of owner, so
21 >it's simulated at mount time. You can't change it at runtime.
22 >
23 >To change it you have to umount the device and remount it using the
24 >appropriate option, all in the man page
25
26 I don't think it has anything to do with FAT.
27 Everything was working just find on my system before upgrade.
28
29 With the line in fstab:
30 /dev/sdb1 /media/stick auto noauto,rw,users 0 0
31
32 Some USB stick are mounted as root:root and I can not change that even as root.
33 When I remove this like from fstab.
34 The USB stick are mounting correctly as joseph:users owner except they have different mounting location which I don't like.
37 Joseph