From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Speed up with pbzip2 or not!?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:08:13
1 On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 13:54 +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Sonntag, 27. Januar 2008, Justin wrote:
3 > > Thats a good point. Now it worked really fast.
4 > > But then the questions is why should I use pbzip2 for decompression with
5 > > portage? I think most tarballs are packed only with the normal
6 > > compression algorithm!
7 > > The WIKI articel pretends a gain of speed which wont be!
8 >
9 > and that is why you should never trust wiki-articles. Everybody can write them
10 > and say whatever they want.
11
12 Well, many eyes see much. It's all a matter of checking, just as with
13 open source software...
14
15 To the topic:
16 I've unmerged pbzip2 after reading its docs. ... seemed too much
17 trouble. I'll try it again when it is suitable as a drop-in replacement
18 or when portage can make use of it. In the mean time, if I need good
19 compression with more than one thread, I use p7zip's lzma
20 implementation.
21
22 By the way, as soon as I come into contact with some decent scripting
23 languages (and no longer this closed source LabVIEW I currently have to
24 work with), I'll try to build a wrapper around p7zip to create a drop-in
25 replacement for gzip, bzip2 and zip.