From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to implement net bandwidth quota
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 03:28:04
1 On Tuesday 07 March 2006 23:52, Bobber Cheng <bobber@××××××××.com> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] how to implement net bandwidth quota':
3 > I'd like to implement net bandwidth quota. E.g. I like give normal use
4 > 1M/s at max, give superuse 10M/s at max, give server user like apache
5 > 50M.
6 >
7 > Any suggestion?
8
9 What what I understand, bw quotas on a per-user basis are not possible.
10 You could limit each connection to 1M/s and vary that based on the user
11 that owns the connection using iptables and connection tracking (may not
12 work on SMP systems). Check out the "Advanced Linux Routing HOW-TO" on
13 tldp.org. It's still a work in progress, but I learned all my few bw
14 throttling abilities through it.
17 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
18 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
19 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
20 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list