From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:29:35
1 John wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:02:31 +0000
3 > John <john@×××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:41:25 -0500
7 >> Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
10 >>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 06:58:08PM +0000, John wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>> Whenever I logout my machine crashes to a black screen and
13 >>>> is unresponsive. I cannot get into any terminals and have to
14 >>>> reboot. It is a problem with my nvidia-drivers - have
15 >>>> uninstalled nvidia-drivers and used X11 "nv" drivers and
16 >>>> all works fine.
17 >>>> Tried various login managers and still the same issue. Use
18 >>>> xfce. Machine shuts down ok but only happens when I logout and
19 >>>> wish to change user.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Any help would be appreciated
22 >>>>
23 >>>>
24 >>> Anything in Xorg logs? System logs?
25 >>>
26 >>> How hard is the lock-up? Is it just the terminal (can you ssh into
27 >>> the machine? does it respond to pings?)? Is it a kernel thing?
28 >>>
29 >>> What about other (older) versions of nVidia drivers? Which card and
30 >>> which driver are you using now?
31 >>>
32 >>> W
33 >>>
34 >> Nothing in Xorg logs, system logs
35 >> Lockup is complete - machine is totally unresposive even to ssh/ping
36 >> x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-177.82
37 >> Kernel version 2.6.27-gentoo-r7
38 >> Card is Geforce GO 6100.
39 >> PC is laptop and logout has been working, maybe a update has done this
40 >> and i have missed it.
41 >> Is this common?
42 >> Using syslog-ng, if you could advise on a config that may pick
43 >> something up in logs
48 > Sorry - shutdown no longer works and systems goes to black screen
49 > Seems as though reinstalling nvidia drivers has made matters worse!!!
53 That could be your problem tho since it changed the problem. Did you
54 notice any warnings about not working with your card when you emerged
55 the drivers? It will warn you if it doesn't like your card but it still
56 emerges anyway. This was discussed a couple weeks ago in another thread.
57
58 I would start with the stable 177, then try the 173 set, then 100 and on
59 down the line. One of those should work.
60
61 Also, you may want to save a copy of xorg.conf and rerun xorgcfg and see
62 if that helps. There have been changes according to what I have read
63 and most stuff isn't even needed anymore. Just a thought.
64
65 Dale
66