From: Dan Oriani <dan@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] amavisd: running or not running???
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 21:00:47
1 On 4/5/2015 1:57 PM, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi Gentoo-users,
3 >
4 > I have this strange problem: I can not start amavisd because
5 > it is running, and at the same time I can not stop amavisd
6 > because it is not running. How's that possible?
7 >
8 > vs4 ~ # /etc/init.d/amavisd start
9 > * WARNING: amavisd has already been started
10 > vs4 ~ # /etc/init.d/amavisd stop
11 > * Stopping amavisd-new ...
12 > The amavisd daemon is not running [ !! ]
13 > * ERROR: amavisd failed to stop
14 > vs4 ~ # /etc/init.d/amavisd start
15 > * WARNING: amavisd has already been started
16 > vs4 ~ # ps -e | grep amavis
17 > vs4 ~ #
18 >
19 > How can I fix this mess?
20 >
21 > Jarry
24 I actually just noticed this happening on my server. Not sure what
25 exactly happened, but it appears that on my computer at least, the rules
26 files had been deleted. What you'll want to try is running 'sa-update',
27 then '/etc/init.d/amavisd zap', then finally '/etc/init.d/amavisd start'.
28
29 OpenRC thinks that the service is running, since it doesn't really close
30 out normally, so the zap command resets it to a stopped state, allowing
31 you to start it normally after updating your rules files.
32
33 Hope that helps!
34
35 -Dan O.