From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage 50-51% and emerge metadata timings
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:07:14
1 On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:16:39 -0500 Jerry McBride
2 <mcbrides9@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 | > Wrong solution. You do realise that the "updating Portage cache"
4 | > thing is due to a Portage deficiency,
5 |
6 | "Portage deficency"? You mean the fact that python scans some
7 | thousands of files in the file based database, writing as it goes?
8
9 Nope. The fact that Portage uses that second level of cache at all.
10
11 | > and that the real cache is centrally generated, right?
12 |
13 | Yup, from thousands of files in the file based database...
14 |
15 | Portage is a wonderful tool for package management, but the sheer
16 | size of the beast begs for movig it to C and a proper database. I
17 | remember in the early days of my gentoo experience that portage
18 | wasn't a bother. But as ebuilds are added to portage and my choice of
19 | installed ebuilds grows... portage has become quite a slug
20 | performance wise. I guess this is where the IT types step in and say
21 | it scales poorly.
22
23 The scalability issues have nothing to do with us using files.
26 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
27 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
28 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm