From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 02:26:04
1 On Wednesday, August 19, 2015 9:09:59 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:40 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
3 > <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > The law is not clear about that. But how can it not be a derived work if
6 it
7 > > doesn't work without it?
10 > A is only a derived work of B if the law says it is.
11
12 The letter of the law is constantly changing. I'll grant that your argument is
13 more inline with the letter of the law because the law wasn't written with
14 this specific case in mind. But the FSF's argument is more inline with it's
15 spirit. Until a court decides one way or the other it's just a grey are so
16 there's no point in arguing.
17
18 > My pot isn't a derived work of my stove. My browser isn't a derived
19 > work of the kernel it runs on.
20 >
21 > Copyright law doesn't talk about interoperability when it comes to
22 > derived works. It talks about translations, adaptations, etc. These
23 > are derived works because they incorporate substantial portions of the
24 > original work. MST3K incorporates substantial portions of the movies
25 > they're parodying. Rifftrax does not. That is the difference.
26 >
27 > A kernel module does not incorporate substantial portions of the kernel.
28 >
29 > And interoperability is actually a legal defense against copyright.
30 > If the only way to make something interoperate with something else is
31 > to partially copy it, the court tends to view that as fair use.
32
33 The GPL symbols are not necessary for interoperability. For that you need
34 little more that access to the hardware and an interface to userspace. Most of
35 those GPL symbols are convenience routines to enable reuse of code among
36 different subsystems and drivers.
39 Fernando Rodriguez